The Desert Foothills Library offers a number of events for Carefree and Cave Creek residents each month – for adults and youth alike. But this month and next, movies take center stage.
The Desert Foothills Independent Film Festival, which kicked off on July 8, runs each Friday from 10:30am-12:30pm through August. Attendees will enjoy free popcorn and soft drinks, and a wide selection of films from around the world. The line-up for the remainder of July:
- July 15: Labyrinth of Lies – Director Giulio Ricciarelli. 124 min. A story that exposes the conspiracy of prominent German institutions and government branches to cover up the crimes of Nazis during World War II. German Drama, History 2014 (subtitles)
- July 22: The Day I Saw Your Heart – Director Jennifer Devoldere. 98 min. Light romantic comedy. French 2011 (subtitles)
- July 29: Lemon Tree – Director Eran Riklis. 106 minutes. The story of a Palestinian widow who must defend her lemon tree field when a new Israeli Defense Minister moves next to her and threatens to have her lemon grove torn down. Drama 2008 (subtitles)
The library also offers:
- Monday Movies – Every Monday from 3-5pm; featuring new releases, with a foreign film once each month.
- Music @ the Movies – Every first Thursday. The August 4 movie will be Mary Poppins (2hrs. 20min.). The children of the uptight Banks family are pleasantly surprised by the arrival of a new nanny, the magical Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews). Embarking on a series of fantastical adventures with Mary and her performer friend, Bert (Dick VanDyke), the siblings try to pass on some of their nanny’s sunny attitude to their preoccupied parents.
The Library encourages adults to bring their children and grandchildren to this delightful and inspirational musical movie. The Music @ the Movies events are hosted by music enthusiast Annis Scott.
In addition, the blockbuster Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be shown July 16, 1-3:15pm. Teens ages 13 and up, as well as adults are welcome to attend this movie. All other children will need a permission slip or come with a parent. Popcorn is provided, and guests can bring a cup for water or his or her own juice or soda. This movie is 136 minutes and is rated PG-13.
Desert Foothills Library is located at 38443 North Schoolhouse Road in Cave Creek. For more information, call 480.488.2286 or visit http://www.desertfoothillslibrary.org.